After so many incredible events in 2014, we begin to take stock of prevailing event trends, separating the passing fads from the substantial strategies and concepts as we all make plans for 2015.
Thanks to the world of technology, music, movies, food, beverage and pop culture, there are solid trends leading the way so that enthusiastic event planners stay one step ahead of the competition and impress clients with their entertainment know how. This new generation of entertainment pushes the boundaries of “wow factor” into “new and daring” and attracts both a new younger audience of clients and vendors while exciting the older generation who have growing expectations of raising the bar on annual events.
Here are a list of trends that are here to stay.
Surprise performances: “There is a great interest in live, surprise entertainment. That doesn’t necessarily mean celebrity entertainment; it could mean the right musician, the right magician, the right funky, guerrilla performance artist—interactive surprises that become living decor,”
“Photo booths. As with most event-related social media platforms, I see too many of this type of technology being way underused. Just because you have an Instagram hashtag for an event, does not make your event a social media darling. I think 2015 is the year that folks actually figure out how to leverage true authentic R.O.I. out of these services instead of the goal being just a picture at a party.”
Multimedia performance shows, LED dance acts, black light performances and video mapping shows. There is a huge appetite for wow factor entertainment that uses technology to incorporate corporate messages, logos and branding. In 2013 Pixel Performance made its debut at the opening night party for Tiff. Pixel Performance light batons are cutting-edge programmable LED devices which use persistence of vision effects to display breathtaking graphics, text and logos. Spun by a one, two or three performers choreographed to music, this show will continue to be in demand in 2015.
- For conferences coming in from out of town who are seeking entertainment, hiring local entertainment from the hosting city or company will become more and more popular as meeting planners look to create a memorable and home grown experience
- There has been a surge in popularity for A Capella groups who re-create songs by re-mixing the sound using their voices as instruments.
- Instead of one big show, event planners will elect to have smaller vignettes of entertainment and or roving acts.
- Ice Carving performances with live musicians will soar as event planners look for new ways to stay ahead of their competition.
- Mobile Interactive iPad DJ’s who can take the music to the dance floor and engage guests in the experience of mixing their favourite song.
2015 will see more demand for Beat Boxers who are able to brand their voices and create music that is customized to the brand or event experience such as a product launch.
- Customization and Personalization will continue to lead the way for corporate events looking for something new and authentic. Branding is more important in 2015 than ever as clients look to attract new audiences.
- Raising acts above the crowd for impact. There is an element of surprise when you hoist an artist 15 ft. high off the floor to perform for your guests.
- A List magicians who can manipulate magic, illusion and mentalism. This year America’s Got Talent chose a magician by the name of Matt Franco as the winner. His breed of close up magic is replacing the traditional stage show that we have been exposed to for many years.
- Dance crews that combine dance, acrobatics and aerial to projection mapping in the background.
LED light board speed painting. We have all been exposed to canvas speed painters but seeing that same performance done on an acrylic lit LED surface is powerful.
- Sports related entertainment will be dominate as we move into 2015 to show our city and the world that we are proud to host the Pan Am games. Engaging popular home grown sports celebrities will be in demand.
Just having returned from the Special Event Show in January in Anaheim and traveling south, I am filled with new ideas, inspiration, and stories, so stay tuned for the next post.
Janice Cardinale is an Idea Hunter specializing in corporate entertainment across Canada and the United States and can be reached through her website www.theideahunter.ca.